Beginner 5. A night to remember




David: Are you free this evening? For a meal…yeah. You are? That’s fantastic!
Helen: It’s David’s new friend on the phone. I think he really likes her. It sounds very exciting
David: OK then. See you at 7:30.
Helen: David has a date
Jane: When?
Helen: Tonight
Jane: What’s her name?
David: Julia
Jane: When did you meet her?
Matt: Two weeks ago
David: Do you mind?
Jane: What is it tonight then? Cinema, theater, opera?
Matt: A burger
David: A restaurant
Jane: Which one?
David: Hong Kong house.
Matt: Chinese? It’s very good!
David: It’s very cheap. It’s very good
Jane: Well, I hope you and…
Matt: Julia
Jane: Julia…have a great time!
Helen: I’ll come with you
Helen: Have a nice evening
David: Bye then!
Matt: bye
David: This is it!
Julia: Oh, Chinese. I had a Chinese meal yesterday. Can we go somewhere else?
David: Where would you like to go?
Julia: I love Italian food. Is there an Italian restaurant near here?
David: I don’t know
Julia: Yes, there is! Marco’s. It’s about five minutes away
David: Marco’s? Oh yes! But that’s
Julia: What’s the problem?
David: Nothing
Julia: Come on!
Julia: It’s really lovely here. Thanks, David!
David: Don’t mention it. You know, I can speak Italian, just a little
Julia: Can you? I can’t speak any languages. Say something David
Waiter: Good evening sir, madam
Julia: Go on
(David speaks in Italian with the waiter)
David: I’m sorry. Can you speak more slowly, please?
Waiter: Would you like to see the wine list sir?
David: Yes, please
David: What would you like to start? The soup looks nice
Julia: I think I’d like the truffles
David: OK, the truffles. And can I have t the soup, please?
Waiter: Certainly sir. The truffles and the soup. And for the main course?
Julia: I’d like the lobster
David: And I’d like the roast chicken
Waiter: And to drink?
Julia: How about a bottle of champagne?
Waiter: Sir?
David: The champagne? Yes. A bottle of champagne
David: It’s hard work…but I like my job…it’s interesting. And I like playing sports at weekends. Football, tennis, and I like reading books… magazines
Julia: Really? This is delicious
David: Can we have the bill, please?
Waiter: Certainly, sir. Thank you very much, sir.
David: What time is your train?
Julia: Half past ten
David: Half past ten? It’s half past ten now.
Julia: Oh dear. Can you ring for a taxi?
David: A taxi?
Julia: Thanks for a wonderful evening.
David: Don’t mention it
Jane: Good night
David: Night. How much is it  soar?
Taxi driver: Nineteen pounds fifty, sir
David: But I only have twenty pounds
Taxi driver: Do you take credit cards?
Taxi driver: No
David: Visa?
Taxi driver: No
David: American Express
Taxi driver: No
David: A cheque?
Taxi driver: Sorry, I only take cash,  sir. Thank you very much indeed, sir. Good night
David: Thanks very much!
Helen: So that was David’s date with Julia. He got home…in time for breakfast!