Beginner 4. Surprise, surprise!




Helen: This is how it started. Another exciting evening at 53 Blackwood road.

David: Hi Julia, how are you? Yes, sure.

Helen: When is your birthday?

Matt: The fourth of August

Helen: That’s Leo. You’re a lion

Matt: What’s wrong?

Helen: Nothing

Matt: What about you?

Helen: My birthday is the sixteenth of March. I’m a Pisces

Matt: A fish. What’s the horoscope sign for this month?

Helen: May? The first part is Taurus

Matt: The bull. So Jane is a bull

Helen: Is Jane’s birthday this month? When?

Matt: The thirteenth

Helen: The thirteenth of May. But it’s the eleventh of May today. That’s in two days. Are you sure?

Matt: That’s what she said

Helen: Did you hear?

David: No

Helen: It’s Jane’s birthday on Saturday. Why don’t we have a party?

David: In two days?

Helen: Yeah

Matt: A surprise party!

David: Good idea

Helen: Right. How many people?

David: Just the four of us. A meal, a cake, something to drink, presents

Helen: Let’s make a shopping list

David: I got it

Helen: Let’s see it

Matt: That looks great. Where did you get it?

David: I bought it at Pascal’s. You know, next to the bank

Helen: How much was it?

David: It was fifteen pounds

Helen: Did you get the candles. You didn’t get the candles

Matt: I did

Helen: thank you!

David: When does Jane get home?

Matt: Usually at half past six…after her game of tennis. In about twenty minutes

Helen: Oh no!

Matt: She’s early

Helen: David, help me with this cake

David: Matt, don’t let her come into the kitchen

Matt: How

David: Talk to her. Two minutes

Matt: What do you want me to talk about?

Helen: Anything!

Matt: Hi Jane!

Jane: Hi Matt!

Matt: Let me

Jane: Thanks

Matt: Did you have a nice day?

Jane: Eh…Yes!

Matt: What did you do?

Jane: I went shopping

Matt: What did you buy?

Jane: I bought a T-shirt and some shoes. And I bought some food. Matt, are you OK?

Matt: What else did you do?

Jane: I played tennis

Matt: Where?

Jane: At the sports center

Matt: I had a good day

Jane: Did you?

Matt: I got up at about…oh..about eleven o’clock. Then I had breakfast, I had cornflakes, and I 
had toast and coffee… and orange juice. I then I watched television, and then…

Jane: Matt…please move. Now!
Everybody: Happy birthday!

David: It’s not your birthday…

Helen: Matthew…

Matt: But you said it was the thirteenth of May!

Jane: The thirtieth of May Matt. Not the thirteenth!

David: Then what do we do with all this food and drink?

Helen: We can still have a party

Matt: And what about the thirtieth?

Helen: We can have a party then too

Jane: Sure!

Matt: Great! Two parties!

David: But only one present yes?

Helen: Oh, David

David: What?

Jane: Really?

Jane: Cheers!

Helen: So that was the surprise party. A real surprise for everyone!