Elementary 3 - An old friend



Our favourite bar is Freud’s. We go there a lot, especially on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Jane:     Thanks, Matt.
Matt:    Cheers.
Jane:     What time are Helen and David coming?
Matt:    Half past eight.
Jane:     Right. Hey, guess what. I saw Simon last week.
Matt:    Really? That isn’t very strange. He lives next door.
Jane:     Oh, ha, ha. Very funny. No, I saw him in here. He was very good taste. You know, I think he really likes…
Matt:    Oh no.
Jane:     What’s wrong?
Matt:    At the bar. Don’t look!
Jane:     Who?
Deb:      Hi, Danny! How are you?
Jane:     Who is she, Matt?
Matt:    She was my girlfriend.
Jane:     Really?
Matt:    Really.
Jane:     How long were you together?
Matt:    A month:
Jane:     Only a month?
Matt:    It was a very long month.
Jane:     Right. …When did you last see her?
Matt:    About three years ago. She moved to London. But she sometimes rings to me at work.
Jane:     So she still likes you?
Matt:    Unfortunately, yes.
Deb:      Matt!!
Matt:    Oh Jane! Help!
Deb:      Matty! How marvelous!
Matt:    Deb.
Deb:      How long is it? Three years? You still have beautiful eyes. You are happy to see me, aren’t you, Matty?
Jane:     Hello. My name’s Jane.
Deb:      Sorry?
Matt:    Err Jane is my…
Jane:     Fiancée. Pleased to meet you.
Deb:      Fiancée?
Deb: I    didn’t know you were engaged.
Matt:    Didn’t you?
Deb:      When did you engaged?
Jane:     About six months ago.
Matt:    Six weeks… months ago.
Deb:      Where did you meet?
Jane:     On the internet.
Matt:    At a club.
Jane:     We met in a chat room on the internet. And then we met face to face at the club.
Matt:    Yeah… right. Yes, that’s right! It was at a club.
Jane:     And we fell in love, didn’t we, Matt?
Matt:    Yes, we did.
Jane:     I was very shy as first, but Matt was wonderful.
Deb:      And when did you get engaged?
Jane:     On the eighteenth of March.
Matt:    Err, no. It was on the nineteenth. Don’t you remember?
Jane:     Oh yes, you’re right, darling.
Deb:      Where’s the ring?
Matt:    Sorry?
Deb:      Didn’t you buy an engagement ring? For Jane.
Jane:     He did.
Matt:    I did.
Jane:     But I don’t wear it… because it’s a secret.
Matt:    Nobody knows we’re engaged.
Jane:     Now, who wants a drink?
Dab:      No, thank you.
Matt:    Same again, please… darling.
Deb:      Matt. I can’t believe it. You’re engaged. I thought that…
Matt:    Yeah. Sorry about that. Deb.
Matt:    Don’t tell anybody about Jane. It’s a secret.
Helen: Oh no.
David:   What is it?
Helen:  Look at Matt.
David:   He’s with Deb!
Helen: Poor Matt. He really didn’t want to see her again.
David:   Yeah, poor Matt.
Helen:  Come on. Let’s go and help him. David! He needs our help.
Helen:  Hello, Deb. How are you?
Deb:      Hell… err Helen.
David:   Hi.
Deb:      Hi.
Helen: Did you tell Deb our news?
Matt:    What news?
Helen:  Matt, really. Matt and I are engaged.
Helen:  What is it?
Jane:     Hi everybody… What’s the matter? Is something wrong, darling?
Deb:      So you’re engaged to Matt. And Jane is…?
David:   Jane’s with me.
Deb:      But I thought…
Matt:    Er… would anyone like a drink?


Jane and I told Matt it’s OK to have two fiancées... but he can only marry one of us.